Benin, Africa

Benin, Africa

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

September 30, 2016 ALMOST TO AFRICA!

These are the "Benin Boys" All of us fly out on tuesday! 
Wow, what a week! This is my last week in the MTC, and on tuesday i fly out to AFRICA!

Choir is awesome! I am singing a Tenor 1.. so basically i sing as high as i possibly can the whole time..but its great! Just in case you didnt catch it, i will be singing in the MTC Choir for General Conference for this Saturday Afternoon session! I actually got a really good seat too. I will be on the 3rd row, almost right smack in the middle of the whole choir!  There is only one Elder to my right, and then its the sisters. So, if you would like, look for me. Who knows, i just might give the camera a little wink (; JK i might get excommunicated if i do. My Director would snap my badge right in half.. We have had practice twice daily! In 8 days, we had almost 23 hours of choir practice.. about 2 hours every morning, and 2 every night, and on tuesday we had almost 6 hours of practice! So its really been wearing me out.. but so worth it! 

So, this has been such a great week, but soo long.. Our whole zone is so excited to get out into the field, and classes seem to be twice as long.. Plus, yesterday, we had 'In-Field Orientation' and what that is, is 'Sit in class for 8 hours and learn about absolutely nothing' just kidding, it was great but soo long.. They just taught us how to work with Members, and what to eat from street venders, and what pills to take if we get really sick (that part was sketchy) and just random things about how to always act like a missionary and not like a tourist.. So that was fun kinda. 

This week has also been awesome because i feel a little more comfortable with my french. I know once i get there, i will basically forget all of it, but thats okay! because the lord will provide! 

I dont have much more to write about, Other than one small experience that i had last night:
So every night from 9:30 to 10:15 we have a little time to get ready for bed, and to write in journals, and talk with our zone. Well i was walking down the hall just going back to my room, when i had the weirdest impression to knock on this door.. i didnt even know who lived there! So i knocked, and Elder King answered the door. Elder king is a district leader of a very very small district, and more or less, a kind of odd kid. But he opened the door just bawling, and i started talking to him, and he had been having problems with depression and home sickness, and physical sickness, and he told me that every time he asked his companion to give him a blessing, the companion would always make up excuses of why he couldn't do it right then.. Long story short, I talked with Elder King for a long time, and he asked me to give him a blessing. So me and my companion got dressed in our sunday best, and I was able to give him a blessing. Now i know this story isnt really huge or exotic, but it is one of the only times in my life that i have felt the spirit so strong! It guided me into that room, and i was able to relate, and help elder king! 

I heard a quote this week, it says "We follow gods commandments not because we fear him, But because we love him" I know that this church is True. I love it with every ounce of my little heart, and cant wait to share my happiness with the amazing people of Benin! 

Love you all so much! 

-Elder Harris 

p.s. congrats to Connor for making the football team, and Tosh for skydiving! Love you two! 

 Elder Baker and i getting ready for Choir practice! (look at my sick shoes)

No comments:

Post a Comment